Adoptive and kinship families have a unique journey that requires a unique approach to support. At Acenda, we are proud to offer Pre & Post Adoption and Guardianship Counseling Services which are personalized based on a family’s need and designed to address specific challenges.
Post Adoption Counseling Services (PACS) programs provide in-home family and individual therapy and group support to stabilize adoptive and relative placements and enable caregivers to meet the needs of children who have been exposed to abuse/neglect and removed from their birth families.
“I believe one of the most sacrificial acts of love that adoptive parents can do is to give up their preconceptions and agendas about what their child’s views should be and be open to hear the conflicting emotions and thoughts their child often experiences.” —Sherrie Eldridge, Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew
Core Services Include:
• Personalized individual and family focused attachment-based therapy
• Parent education and support
• Child life story development and understanding
• Follow-up support as needed
Your therapists will:
• Increase parents’ confidence in overcoming challenges.
• Strengthen positive family relationships.
• Increase the child’s ability to regulate their emotions and utilize coping skills.
• Process grief and loss surrounding out of home placement and adoption.
• Strengthen the Parent/Child bond, address loyalty conflicts, and ensure the child has an age-appropriate understanding of their biological family history.
What Families are Saying
“Our Acenda therapist provided excellent service and was so empathetic and considerate. She clarified goals that we needed to work on and provided helpful information about adoption and ways to overcome stress.”