Interns are Important to Any Organization
National Intern Day is Thursday, July 30 and we at Acenda want to recognize our interns’ contributions to our organization on this day and throughout the year. Internships are an important part of a student’s growth and development as they prepare for full time work in their career field, but interns are also a wonderful benefit to host organizations.
“Interns are an integral part of program success. They bring new insights to ongoing discussions and provide high quality, supervised learning experiences to the clients we serve,” says Lori Jalkiewicz, LCSW, Internship Coordinator, Acenda. “Hosting interns allows programs additional staffing support and greater access to university resources. It really is a win-win relationship.”
Here are 5 reasons why interns should be supported and valued by companies and organizations:
- Interns breathe life into a program and its staff. They have new ideas, fresh perspectives and varying insights based on their student mindset.
- They provide additional manpower needed to finish big projects or tasks.
- Interns utilize senior staff as supervisors, gain experience and build their resume.
- They turn into great employees! Often, both organizations and interns are so pleased with their experience that interns are later employed by the organization. Everyone enjoys hiring someone they know will be easy to train!
- Building relationships—with universities and within their own networks. It’s a great way for interns to extend the organization’s reach and visibility. There's no better publicity than word-of-mouth!