We all seek balance in our lives, but it's not always so easy to achieve. With so many things happening at home, work, and in the community, we can get disorganized and forget priorities, often putting ourselves last. This can be overwhelming and cause feelings of frustration.
According to Jennifer Kugler, LPC, ACS, Senior Program Director, Behavioral Health Services, Acenda, "So many of us feel pulled in all different directions and have commitments to family, friends and work that take us away from doing things for ourselves," she said "It's important to live a life in balance so that we can be happy and satisfied, rather than one filled with stress and disappointment."
Here are 5 tips to start finding balance:
1. Schedule your time. This can help you plan out your days and balance your time. Having a planner or using your phone’s calendar can be helpful, and remember, it’s okay to schedule rest time into your day.
2. Learn to say no. We often try to please everyone around us, and sometimes forget we need to do things for our own well-being. Know your limits and politely say “no” when you don’t have the time.
3. Focus on today. You will always have things to do, but worrying about the future can cause added anxiety and stress. Being present in your day will help create focus and lead to a healthy, balanced life.
4. Embrace a positive attitude. This will help make life go more smoothly and take on the challenges of each day in stride. This does not mean that you won’t experience unpleasant situations, but rather face these unpleasantries with productive and positive thoughts.
5. Pay close attention to your mental and physical health. If your life is unbalanced, stress can cause effects on both the mind and the body. Be sure to get the attention you need and make the necessary lifestyle adjustments that will make you a healthier person.