Stay Active, Stay Healthy
With so many of us staying at home more than ever before due to the pandemic, we might all have gotten a bit lazier and less active. And with winter upon us, it is easier to just curl up and stay warm in front of the TV or computer screen.
According to the Healthy People 2020 Report, "more than 80% of adults do not meet the guidelines for both aerobic and muscle-strengthening activities. Similarly, more than 80% of adolescents do not do enough aerobic physical activity to meet the guidelines for youth."
January is National Family Fit Lifestyle Month and what better time than now to get the whole family involved in a fitness routine It is a great way to spend quality family time while getting healthier.
Here are 4 activities you can do as a family, even during the cold, winter months to celebrate National Family Fit Lifestyle Month:
- Go Sledding. Sledding is a great way to get some exercise and and take in the outdoors. Climbing the hills to get back on the sled will work those leg muscles and burn some calories.
- Put on an exercise video. The whole family can exercise to videos. There's something for everyone, whether it is Zumba, yoga, cardio, or a weight workout.
- Take a walk or a hike. Bundle up in warm clothes and head for the local park or woods for a long walk or jog.
- Prepare healthy meals together. Have the whole family shop for and prepare meals that are well balanced and include lots of fruits and vegetables.
Acenda’s Family Success Centers, family-centered neighborhood gathering places where residents go for family support, interactive workshops, activities, and groups, are offering virtual activities for families to stay in shape. Here are a few:
- Bird's Eye Family Success Center Family Exercise Video
- Mosaic Family Success Center Disney Exercise Video
For more information on our Family Success Centers and upcoming activities, visit www.acendahealth.org/programs/family-success-centers.