What’s a Kid to Do?
Finding Ways to Keep Kids Busy While Stuck in the House During COVID-19
With the COVID-19 outbreak across our country, navigating this uncharted territory has particular challenges for parents. Whether you’re a stay-at-home parent, telecommuting or suddenly out of work with kids to care for, most of us are feeling overwhelmed. We’re juggling responsibilities with limited or no childcare, taking on home-schooling duties we never anticipated, and trying to follow disease-prevention measures we’re not sure we’re equipped to handle.
Here’s five ideas and tips for keeping the kids busy when they aren’t doing their schoolwork on-line:
1. Set a schedule and stick to it. Kids do best when they have a routine. Even though they are home, a plan for each day will keep everyone on schedule and things will get accomplished much easier. They can still have fun between their school lessons. Also, try to keep meal times and sleep/nap times the same.
2. Read. This is a great opportunity to introduce your kids of any age to books. For the little ones, spend time reading to them. For those that can read, it will help build vocabulary skills and pass the time.
3. Virtual Museum Tours: Here are 12 tours you can do while sitting on your couch!
4. Puzzle Time. We all have puzzle sitting around the house, now is a great time to get the whole family involved in a fun and brain stimulating activity.
5. Arts & Crafts. Whether its finger painting, ceramics, coloring books or sketching, an art project is a creative way to pass the time.
You can also check out NJ.com’s list of free resources to keep kids busy all day long.