World Mental Health Day 2019
Observed on October 10, World Mental Health Day strives to raise awareness of and support for mental health. According to the World Health Organization, someone loses their life to suicide every 40 seconds. The National Institute of Health notes high-risk indicators for suicide, include:
- Mental health and/or substance abuse diagnoses.
- A history of prior self-harm or suicide attempts.
- Recently talking about having no reason to live.
- Prolonged stress, including relationship, bullying, or financial issues.
- Being between the ages of 15-24, or over 60.
Uniting to improve mental health for people around the world, this year's theme focuses on suicide prevention.
This is an opportunity to show you care by...
- educating others on suicide prevention.
- removing the stigma associated with suicide.
- supporting those who are struggling so that they are not alone.
Finding Support & Treatment
According to MentalHealthScreening.org, National Depression Screening day occurs on the Thursday during the first full week of October to encourage the public to understand their symptoms and to seek help if needed. However, year-round they offer a free and anonymous questionnaire to screen for depressive symptoms. They also offer questionnaires regarding other mental health concerns including anxiety.
Acenda offers a variety of evidence-based counseling services for all ages and needs. Call 844-4-ACENDA (844-422-3632) for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Acenda Adult Counseling Services
Acenda Child & Adolescent Counseling Services
Suicide Prevention Hotline - 1-800-273-8255
Crisis text line – Text HOME to 741741